21 September 2009

Spring '09 ~ Book Design ~ Herland / With Her in Ourland

This goes back to the very beginning of the program when I first discovered Herland. What I discovered after googling Herland was that it had a sequel. After I discovered this I knew I wanted to design a book with two covers, with one of the books imposed 180 degrees, for my final project for the design class. I also used Herland for my final project in my Archeology of the Book class, which gave me a greater insight into the writer (Charlotte Perkins Gilman) and its publishing history. I had a couple of books printed up to see how it would turn out, and I learned a lot from the process. I am very happy with how the books came out, but I know what I would do differently next time as well. And, I suppose, that's what this final project was all about.

I knew I wanted to go back to Brioso Pro for my text font, but I struggled with my display font for a long time. Then I found Alea, and I knew I had found the perfect font to make the books look different, but tied together at the same time. All of the embellishments in this font are separate, so I was able to fill the voids on the cover, use the leafy parts for Herland, and keep it simple for Ourland.






No comments:

Post a Comment